OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP CATHOLIC SCHOOL FRIDAY FANFARE
September 24 - September 28, 2018 school.myolph.com
Virtue of the Month of September: Kindness - An eagerness to put others at ease. It is a sweet and attractive temperament that shows friendly regard.
"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God." Romans 8:14.
Please attend Mass this weekend with your Parish Priest
· Monday, September 24--Ravioli, garlic bread, applesauce, salad, milk
· Tuesday, September 25--Chicken nuggets, mashed potato, green beans, fruit, milk
· Wednesday, September 26--Cheese pizza, corn, pineapple, salad, milk
· Thursday, September 27--Hamburger, tri-tater, fruit, pickles, tomato, cheese, milk
· Friday, September 28--No School-Teacher--In-Service
· Saturday, September 22--Grand Ram Tricycle Race and Fall Festival--9:00 A.M.-2:00 P.M.
· Sunday, September 23--Teen Mass--10:00 A.M.
· Tuesday, September 25--Fall Uniform and Sports Pictures--8:15 A.M.(excluding: 8th grade and Tennis)
· Wednesday, September 26--Cub Scout Meeting--6:30 P.M.
· Wednesday, September 26--School Advisory Meeting--5:30 P.M.--3rd Grade Classroom
· Thursday, September 27--3rd Grade Virtue--All School Mass
· Thursday, September 27--Pep Rally--2:30 P.M.--Gym
· Thursday, September 27--Box Top Collection
· Friday, September 28--Diocesan In-Service--No School for Students
SCHOOL NEWS: Salad Bar, Start with Hello Week, Publix, Speech and Hearing, Movie Screening, Family Honor, Yearbooks and Box Tops
1. Salad Bar - The Salad Bar is Here! The Salad Bar is Here! Beginning Monday, Sept. 24 and then every Mon., Wed., and Friday, students will be able to purchase the Salad Bar option at lunch. We will open it up to the middle school students first to see how it works, and then add grades to be able to participate. Be sure and check the fanfare weekly for the updates on this. A big thank you to Mrs. Curtiss for providing us this healthy opportunity!
2. Start With Hello Week - This September 24-28, your child will be taking part in Start With Hello Week at OLPH School. Start with Hello teaches students, grades 2-12, the skills they need to reach out to and include those who may be dealing with chronic social isolation and create a culture of inclusion and connectedness within their classroom, school or youth organization. Social isolation is the overwhelming feeling of being left out, lonely, or treated like you are invisible. It is a growing epidemic in the United States and within our schools. Excessive feelings of isolation can be associated with violent and suicidal behavior. In fact, one study reports that chronic loneliness increases the risk of an early death by 14%. Furthermore, young people who are isolated can become victims of bullying, violence and/or depression. As a result, many further pull away from society, struggle with learning and social development and/or choose to hurt themselves or others. We encourage you to talk to your child about the Start With Hello program and ask them to share what they have learned. Not only will that help you learn how to support your child to identify isolation, reach out and connect, and Start With Hello, it also demonstrates to your child that you take this subject seriously and can support them in their actions to create a more connected and inclusive home, classroom, school and community. Finally, we encourage you to support your child in sharing their Start With Hello story by submitting their creative expressions to the Start With Hello Student Voices Contest at https://www.sandyhookpromise.org/studentcontest. For more information on Start With Hello and to sign up to receive the Start With Hello Parent Brochure, please visit: http://www.sandyhookpromise.org/bringstartwithhello.
Activities through the week include the following:
Monday- A powerpoint presentation for grades 2-8 on Start With Hello Week
Tuesday- Lifesaver Day. Lifesaver day is when students go around and give other students lifesaver candies, provided by Beta Club, to represent that one small act of kindness can save a life.
Wednesday- Wear Green Day (Sandy Hook Promise’s colors) to further promote awareness and call attention to Sandy Hook Promise’s Start With Hello Week. Students may wear a green shirt with their uniform bottoms.
Thursday-Throughout the day, Beta officers will go around to classrooms talking to students about Start with Hello Week and why this is so important.
3. Publix Reward Card Update: Though the tags still work now, on October 1, Publix will be switching over to a phone number entry to give us credit for your purchases. To continue to participate and earn cash back for the school on every purchase, you must sign up for a Publix account at Publix.com (or sign in if you already have an account.) Then click on your name in the upper left corner and go to "My Account." Under "My Publix Partner" search by zip code (37412) to choose; Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Then, each time you shop, simply enter the phone number you registered with. No more missed receipts because you don't have your key tag!
4. Speech and Hearing - The Speech and Hearing Center will conduct speech and hearing screenings for $20 on Tuesday, October 2nd at OLPH. See attached flyer.
5. Movie Screening - The Diocese of Knoxville Office of Marriage Preparation and Enrichment cordially invites you to attend a Free screening of the documentary, Sexual Revolution: 50 Years of Humanae Vitae. This documentary is an exciting and beautifully made film that examines the parallel developments of the Pill and modern Natural Family Planning. Please see the attachment for the showing times and locations.
6. Family Honor - Save the Date: Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School will be hosting a truly unique chastity program for parents and teens in 7th and 8th grade. The program is designed to bring parents and their teens together to discuss life's most important issues, with a special emphasis on chastity and God's gift of sexuality. The program is presented by Family Honor, Inc. and is called "Real Love and Real Life". It will be held on Saturday, February 9, 2019 from 8:30 A.M. - 3:30 P.M. Deadline for registering is Sunday, February 3, 2019. Space is limited so register online at www.familyhonor.org. There is a registration fee of $25.00 for the program, which can be paid upon checking in at the first session. This program is sponsored and provided by the Sugar and Spice group of OLPH.
7. Yearbooks - We have 19 extra yearbooks from 2017-2018 school year. If you would like one, we will have them available at the Back to School Picnic as well as in the office. They are $34.00.
8. Box Tops - Start sending in your box tops. They will be collected on Thursday, September 27th.
· Monday, September 24--Cross Country Meet--4:15 P.M.
· Monday, September 24--JV Catholic Football--OLPH @ Boyd--7:00 P.M.
· Monday, September 24--ISC Tennis Tournament Starts
· Thursday, September 27--Pep Rally--2:30 P.M.--Gym
· Friday, September 28--Cross Country Championship--Woodland Park--4:00 P.M.
· Saturday, September 29--Choo Choo Bowl XXVIII--St. Rose @ OLPH--1:00 P.M.